Warm Sweet Potato Hash with Avocado is a flavor sensory overload! Naturally sweet, sweet potato, savory caramelized red onions, melted mozzarella (optional) , and fresh avocado. A delicious egg-free vegetarian breakfast, to spice up that standard American bacon and eggs breakfast. Wrap it all together in a warmed tortilla, and you won’t miss the eggs, not even a little bit.
If you omit the cheese, we can have a little extra fun with this dish.
One, Ta-dah, now it’s vegan.
And, two, all the ingredients are now dry ingredients, meaning no refrigeration needed.
Why are dry ingredient recipes extra fun? Because they can easily be packed for a camping, hiking, or road tripping adventure. If you do pack a recipe for such an adventure, it is quite possible you will be able to enjoy it beside a campfire. Extra fun!
Sweet Potato Hash with Avocado is a perfect recipe for the wandering adventurer.
Enjoy with chargrilled garlic salsa or raw heirloom tomato salsa or simple cilantro pesto.
Even though their taste is sweet, sweet potatoes contain just natural sugar. Natural sugars are released slowly when consumed. This produces a more balanced sense of energy, without the familiar sugar crash of other sugars. Making sweet potatoes a pleasantly healthy option, when seeking to satisfy that sweet tooth.
Sweet Potato Hash with caramelized onions and avocado, wrap together in a warm tortilla to complete this satisfying egg-free breakfast
- 1 sweet potato, peeled & chopped
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 avocado
- 2 string cheese sticks (omit or sub vegan cheese for vegan)
- Sea Salt
- Olive oil
- 2-4 Tortillas
- Salsa or pesto of your choice
- 1. On med heat, add sweet potato to a med/ small pan with a drizzle of avocado oil and sprinkle of sea salt, cover for 5 min
- 2. Slice onion and add to pan, flip sweet potato, sprinkle sea salt, lower heat, cover for another 5 min or until soft
- 3. “string” the string cheese (if using) over the sweet potato hash, turn heat off, cover to melt
- 4. Slice avocado, add to tortillas with sweet potato hash
Great camping or hiking recipe! Omit the cheese, and all the ingredients can be packed without refrigeration.
A simple paper plate hack for camping. Fold a paper plate around your wrap and enjoy it mess-free. Use it as a napkin for your wrap now, and for a fire starter later.
1. Set your wrap on the paper plate.
2. Fold paper plate up from the bottom, and over your wrap. Then fold the sides in towards the middle.
3. When your sweet potato hash has been devoured, toss the paper plate in your camp fire. Dishes done.