Growing up, my parent’s home had a bountiful persimmon tree in the front yard that filled all its branches with the juicy orange fruit throughout fall and winter. Most of them went into Mom’s famous persimmon bread recipe, slightly spiced and so good fresh out of the oven topped with a bit of melting butter. My favorite was always the top crispy part of the loaf, almost dessert like, us kids referred to it as cake bread, which is very much like this recipe. Too good to simply be called bread. Enjoy Blueberry Cake Bread with your morning coffee or topped with a bit of vanilla ice cream for dessert.
I like the raw sugar for a bit more of a crunch, while the coconut oil and yogurt keep it moist, and the oats leave it with a delicious crumbly nook ‘n cranny texture.
3/4 c oats
1.5 cup all purpose flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/4 c (1/2 stick) butter, save the wrapper!
1/4 c coconut oil
1 c raw sugar
1/2 c vanilla yogurt
1.5 c blueberries, smashed with a fork
1 c walnut pieces
- Puree oats to make oat flour
- Whisk together oat flour, flour and baking powder, & set aside
- Cream butter, coconut oil & sugar in a separate bowl
- Make a small well & add eggs. Lightly scramble, then mix into batter
- Stir in yogurt & smashed blueberries
- Use butter wrapper to grease loaf pan and pour in batter
- Lightly press walnuts on top and sprinkle with cinnamon
- Bake 1 hour 5 min, or until the toothpick test comes out clean